Friday, September 09, 2005

The second deluge….?

I’m freezing inside my office. I go out to have a break from frigging AC. What do I see? Oh my God! Its pouring. Generally it is always raining outside. But this pour is reminiscent of that 26th August pouring.

Is this the second coming? Will Mumbai be able to overcome another spate of flooding?

I cannot predict how nature will behave. But I know one thing. Mumbai is now much better prepared to handle the situation. Every person has vivid memories of what happened on that fateful Tuesday. Each individual now knows what is to be done in such a situation. Not only on an individual level, but also collectively the society now has a widely understood disaster recovery mechanism. Added to this is the world famous Mumbai resilience. There should be no problem.

Lets hope that the Rain-Gods relent. In case they don’t, we are ready.

############

My fears were unfounded after all. We are now safe. This one it seems is not like the Tuesday cloudburst. This is just the normal everyday rain, they say. The Met dept predicts heavy rainfall for the next 24 hrs(since & till when will we keep relying on them?), but nothing like a danger warning.

So we should be just fine.

2 comments:

Sayesha said...

It's sad that something so incredibly beautiful as rain can bring about so much destruction :(

Ravi said...

Sayesha
I too used to think of rain as a beautiful thing before I came to mumbai. But too much of anything, I guess is not a good thing. Rain no only disturbs day to day activity here, but also causes a lot of damage.