Tuesday, October 11, 2005

IIPM is doomed

My blog is my thoughts for the world. It is my channel of saying whatever I want to convey. These are strictly my thoughts and mine alone. I believe I am entitled to my opinion, as long as it is expressed in an agreeable language. It is after all an opinion.

But the internet is a very powerful tool. It is possible for a blogger to influence a large section of society. Naturally with such immense power there is bound to be some responsibility. As a responsible blogger I will accept any miscommunication or misrepresentation & correct the same. However that will happen only if I am proved wrong.

Gaurav Sabnis is a blogger. He had an opinion about IIPM (a management education institute promoted by Arindam Chauduri). The opinion was not so nice & had also cited JAMMAG, a publication of Rashmi Bansal, another popular blogger. As a responsible blogger, he would have posted an apology if he was proved wrong. But IIPM did nothing of that sort. Instead it started applying pressure both on Rashmi and Gaurav to withdraw their opinions and apologize. This is like school. IIPM is the big bully who says some lies. Rashmi & Gaurav are the kids who point out the flaw in the big bully’s talk. Since big bully cannot argue with them based on logic, he starts bashing them up, warning them of dire consequences unless they take back their words. Both the kids stand their ground in spite of the bashing. So the big bully crosses his limits. And now Gaurav has to quit his job.

This is unfair. In school, there used to be bullying, but there was also the teacher who used to control those big bully’s and punish them for such acts. Who will control this big bully that IIPM has become? I find that there is no institution that will do that. So we do what us small kids used to do when there was no teacher. We fight collectively. So what if I am a small time blogger averaging single digit hits per day. This post is about that collective fighting that we individual bloggers have to wage against this mammoth, heavily funded, influential institution.

Any institution however mediocre can improve with time. A commitment on providing relevant education over a period of time is bound to bring results. IIPM has taken a shortcut by blanking out all other institutes from newspapers through its heavy ad spend. This is forgivable. It can still improve if it has commitment. But this big bully has put its weight in crushing any voice raised against its false claims. This clears all doubts. If the promoters itself have no sense of ethics or responsibility, there is no hope for this institute. I am just sorry for all the gullible students that are and will be studying in this institute. I wouldn’t advise even an enemy to join this institute.

IIPM is doomed!

To keep updated on the IIPM fiasco visit Desipundit.

7 comments:

Ravi said...

#Rinku
A lot has happened in the past few days. Mainstream media has finally woken up to this issue. Yesterday, NDTV had a story on this. CNBC plans to call both Rashmi & Gaurav in an interview. IIPM sure has a lot of trouble coming its way.

Jammy said...

Something that I wrote in April without naming the institute... http://ramanuj.blogspot.com/2005/04/shy-evil.html

Ravi said...

#Jammy
I'm glad you are back. :) I had read that post. In fact I've been following the IIPM fraud for a long time, even before Gaurav & Rashmi published it.

Anonymous said...

IIM is afraid of losing to IIPM in long run.Therefore one of IIM's stooge started this controversy.There is absolutely no problem with the education imparted by IIPM.Most of the students are placed in most reputable companies and are doing fine.

Anonymous said...

What makes you write about IIPM in this uninformed and cynical way? Have you examined the value-add the institute creates for students? Do you understand the value to India as a nation, by providing essential entrepreneurial and business skills to thousands of students from every part of India - the econonmy as a whole benefits dramatically...

I have studied at IIPM Delhi (1999 Batch), and Prof. Arindam Chaudhuri was a great professor, highly respected... Our faculty at IIPM is drawn from the best in IIT Dehi (for Operations Research), FMS, MDI and many others.

We even had courses on alternative Leadership teachniques based on religious texts; and experential learning models that no one in India uses at b-schools today.

I am still invited as an alumni to every event that IIPM hosts - from Stephen Covey of 7 Habits fame, to Michael Porter, to recenty Zig Ziglar... I had the opportunity to visit the new Delhi campus, and have to admit, its beautiful! IIPM's infrastructure was never great (as the government doesn't give 100 acres of land to private insittutions, like IIM A has 100 acres for less than 200 students - wonder what eachstudent does with a half acre!)... but IIPM always had the essentials of a great library and classrooms...


But now the laptops, Wifi, AC classrooomns...faculty from every top15 b school... its awesome...

You should visit it...

And I am going to report your blog to IIPM Webmaster, and I hope they drag you into the courts for defamation (although no one reads your ranting)...

Remove this ridiculous lies from this non-credible site immediately, and do more productive things...

And the blgosphere's irresponsbility will be the end of it... the mainstream media may be easily corrupted, but they understand their responsibilities
(refer Chomsky, 'Media Control') I teach at Haas (UCLA) while I'm completing my phD, and recently met Sandeepan Deb (Editor - Outlook Magazine), who is an IITian and recently wrote a book on his alum mater...he was all prasies for IIPM - based on a campus visit and reporting... thatis responsibility.

So if you wantto write about something, know it well...

Ravi said...

#anon
My blog was becoming very boring these days. Your comments are real funny. Thanks for livening up my mood.

But I'm curious - what took you so long? What are you doing posting comments on long forgotten posts? I guess sifting through all those posts on desipundit would have taken some time - haan? Talking of stooges, I guess we now know who the stooge is, right? After all when everyone has long forgotten about it, you are still doing the same boring job - going on all IIPM posts & pasting the same comment over & over again. I pity your boring life.

And was that a threat you just gave me? Oh I am trembling of fear. :)

Anonymous said...

My dig at IIPM ads. And my unbiased valuation of the episode.